How to Apply
SHERMAN OAKS ELEMENTARY CHARTER enrollment process for the 2019-2020 school year will begin on March 1, 2019.
To enroll in Kindergarten your child must be 5 by September 1, 2019.
To enroll in TK your child must turn 5 between September 2 - December 1, 2019.
Lottery for Non - Resident students was held on March 22, 2019.
HOW TO APPLY
As an LAUSD affiliated charter school, admission to Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter School is open to any California resident who wishes to attend; however, our first responsibility is to enroll families residing within our District-defined boundaries. They shall have first admission preference and thus are deemed exempt from the lottery. After the enrollment of resident students, if there are still openings, pupils who wish to attend the charter school may apply to participate in a public random lottery. Please visit our School Tours page in the Enrollment section for information on school tours. Upcoming events for prospective families can be found on the Incoming Family Events page.
ENROLLMENT FOR STUDENTS LIVING WITHIN SOEC’s BOUNDARIES
*The District Boundary Map can be found here. http://rsi.lausd.net/ResidentSchoolIdentifier/
Pick Up an Enrollment Packet:
- Enrollment packets for RESIDENT STUDENTS will be available beginning March 1, 2019
for pick up in the office. Enrollment packages will be available from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm during days school is in session. In order to pick up an enrollment packet, you must bring in a current utility bill, such as D.W.P or gas bill to verify that we are your resident school.
- Enrollment packets can also be downloaded here: http://home.lausd.net/pdf/Families_Forms/Student_Enrollment_Form_English.PDF
- Resident families are encouraged to register new students as soon as possible. The enrollment window begins April 3, 2019 for resident students only.
If you do not live within the District defined boundaries, your child will not be able to attend Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter. If a question about your address arises, we have the responsibility to check. This may be done by requesting additional utility bills, calling managers, or by visiting the address you have listed. Please do not provide a false address when registering. If we find out that you have done so, we are required to transfer your child out immediately. This would be very difficult for your child.
Please do not put your child in this position because you falsified your address.
Return Completed Enrollment Packages with the following documentation:
- The office will process COMPLETE enrollment packages between the hours of 9:00 am – 3:00 pm.
- Bring in completed enrollment packet with the following:
- PROOF OF AGE: birth certificate, passport, or baptismal certificate (hospital certificates will not be accepted
- PROOF OF ADDRESS: utility bill (gas, water, or electric) or property taxes, rental/lease agreement (if utilities are included only) or Official government mail (CalWorks, Social Security)
- PARENT IDENTIFICATION: valid driver's license or identification card with picture or passport or birth certifcate
- IMMUNIZATIONS RECORDS:
- POLIO – 4 doses (3 doses if one was given on or after the 4th birthday)
- DPT – 5 doses (4 doses, if one was given on or after the 4th birthday)
- MMR – 2 doses (both given on or after the 1st birthday)
- HEPATITIS B- 3 doses
- VARICELLA – 1 dose (on or after the 1st birthday)
- Incomplete enrollment packages will not be accepted.
- Immunizations: If your child is scheduled to receive immunizations between date to be determined for 2019-2020 enrollment and the first day of school, you may submit an incomplete enrollment package accompanied by a doctor’s note stating when the missing immunizations will be administered.
Using California state standards for Kindergarten, teachers implement developmentally appropriate practices to accommodate various learning styles while integrating experiential “hands on” activities in an engaging setting. This program allows students to develop skills and concepts at their own pace and acts as a bridge between a more flexible curriculum and the academic rigor of elementary school.
Lottery Applications for Non Resident Students
As an Affiliated Charter, Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter follows LAUSD’s Unified Enrollment process and deadlines for non- resident applicants. If there is more interest than the number of spaces available, a random public lottery will be conducted for non-resident boundary students as described below.
LOTTERY PREFERENCES AND PROCEDURES
- Siblings - Prospective students who (a) are siblings of students enrolled in grades TK - 4 at Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter at the time of the lottery and (b) reside within LAUSD boundaries, but not within the attendance boundaries of Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter, shall have second admission preference.
- Other LAUSD Students - All other prospective students who reside within LAUSD boundaries, but not within the attendance boundaries of Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter, shall have third admission preference.
- Siblings - Prospective students who (a) are siblings of students enrolled in grades TK - 4 at Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter at the time of the lottery and (b) reside in the State of California but not within LAUSD boundaries, shall have fourth admissions preference.
We offer 2 prospective parent meeting / school tours each year. (Parents only)
Oct 2, 2019 8:30 am
Dec. 5, 2019 8:30 am
Feb 19, 2020 8:30 am
These are informational only and open to any prospective parents.
Please note that these are the only school tours that we offer to keep interruptions to our classes to a minimum.