How to Apply
SHERMAN OAKS ELEMENTARY CHARTER enrollment process for the 2023-2024 school year
To enroll in Kindergarten your child must be 5 by September 1 of the current school year.
To enroll in UTK your child must turn 5 between September 2, 2023 and September 1, 2024 of the current school year.
Universal Transitional Kindergarten - UTK
SOEC is excited to expand its TK program to welcome new students who turn between September 2nd and September 1st. The TK program provides a curriculum that is both age and developmentally-appropriate. Emphasis is placed on developing oral language skills and providing integrated experiences in language and literacy, social-emotional development, mathematics, physical development, the arts, science, social sciences, and English language development. Tk students are not expected to meet kindergarten standards until the end of their kindergarten year. Parents can pick up enrollment packets starting March 1, 2023. We look forward to welcoming new TK Tiger Cubs to SOEC.
ENROLLMENT FOR STUDENTS LIVING WITHIN SOEC’s BOUNDARIES
*The District Boundary Map can be found here. http://rsi.lausd.net/ResidentSchoolIdentifier/
Pick Up an Enrollment Packet:
- Enrollment packets for RESIDENT STUDENTS will be available beginning March 1, 2023
for pick up in the office. Enrollment packages will be available from 9:00 am – 3:00 pm during days school is in session. In order to pick up an enrollment packet, you must bring in a current utility bill, such as D.W.P or gas bill to verify that we are your resident school.
- Enrollment packets can also be downloaded here: http://home.lausd.net/pdf/Families_Forms/Student_Enrollment_Form_English.PDF
- Resident families are encouraged to register new students as soon as possible. The enrollment window begins March 1, 2023 for resident students only.
If you do not live within the District defined boundaries, your child will not be able to attend Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter. If a question about your address arises, we have the responsibility to check. This may be done by requesting additional utility bills, calling managers, or by visiting the address you have listed. Please do not provide a false address when registering. If we find out that you have done so, we are required to transfer your child out immediately. This would be very difficult for your child.
Please do not put your child in this position because you falsified your address.
Return Completed Enrollment Packages with the following documentation:
- The office will process COMPLETE enrollment packages between the hours of 9:00 am – 3:00 pm.
- Bring in completed enrollment packet with the following:
- PROOF OF AGE: birth certificate, passport, or baptismal certificate (hospital certificates will not be accepted
- PROOF OF ADDRESS: utility bill (gas, water, or electric) or property taxes, rental/lease agreement (if utilities are included only) or Official government mail (CalWorks, Social Security)
- PARENT IDENTIFICATION: valid driver's license or identification card with picture or passport or birth certifcate
- IMMUNIZATIONS RECORDS:
- POLIO – 4 doses (3 doses if one was given on or after the 4th birthday)
- DPT – 5 doses (4 doses, if one was given on or after the 4th birthday)
- MMR – 2 doses (both given on or after the 1st birthday)
- HEPATITIS B- 3 doses
- VARICELLA – 2 dose (on or after the 1st birthday)
- Incomplete enrollment packages will not be accepted.
- Immunizations: If your child is scheduled to receive immunizations between date to be determined for 2023-2024 enrollment and the first day of school, you may submit an incomplete enrollment package accompanied by a doctor’s note stating when the missing immunizations will be administered.
HOW TO APPLY FOR NON RESIDENT FAMILIES
As an LAUSD affiliated charter school, admission to Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter School is open to any California resident who wishes to attend; however, our first responsibility is to enroll families residing within our District-defined boundaries. They shall have first admission preference and thus are deemed exempt from the lottery. After the enrollment of resident students, if there are still openings, pupils who wish to attend the charter school may apply to participate in a public random lottery. Please visit our School Tours page in the Enrollment section for information on school tours. Upcoming events for prospective families can be found on the Incoming Family Events page.
LOTTERY PREFERENCES AND PROCEDURES
If you do not live within the Sherman Oaks boundaries (see our boundary map here: http://rsi.lausd.net/ResidentSchoolIdentifier/) but would like to apply for our Charter Lottery, please see the information below.
- Siblings - Prospective students who (a) are siblings of students enrolled in grades TK - 4 at Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter at the time of the lottery and (b) reside within LAUSD boundaries, but not within the attendance boundaries of Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter, shall have second admission preference.
- Other LAUSD Students - All other prospective students who reside within LAUSD boundaries, but not within the attendance boundaries of Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter, shall have third admission preference.
- Siblings - Prospective students who (a) are siblings of students enrolled in grades TK - 4 at Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter at the time of the lottery and (b) reside in the State of California but not within LAUSD boundaries, shall have fourth admissions preference.