MISSION & PHILOSOPHY
Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter School motto:
Educating students for success in a changing world
At Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter, our goal is to focus on the “whole child” – academically, socially, and emotionally – so they are prepared for a successful future.
Our mission is to create a learning atmosphere where all students gain the utmost academic content and social skills through standard-based instruction via excellent teaching, technology, content enrichment and strong collaboration between all staff members. Instruction will be delivered through a multi-modality approach where the individual needs of each student are taken into account to support the students as they acquire the skills for the 21st Century.
Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter’s vision is to encourage students to reach their maximum potential. Our students will value their unique self-worth as they contribute to the community as a whole. We build a model of excellence through a learning program that provides a standards-based curriculum in the least restrictive environment.
Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter:
- Infuses music, dance, art, physical education and technology into traditional, standards-based curriculum to provide a rich experience for all of our students.
- Includes hands-on, investigative learning with indoor and outdoor science labs, media labs, and special offsite field work, like the annual Astro Camp study trip for fifth graders.
- Places an emphasis on multi-disciplinary, project-based learning that encourages our children to make connections between the curriculum and the real world.
- Provides a solid foundation in everyday communication skills; solving problems creatively, thinking critically, working both independently and cooperatively, and utilizing technology effectively.
- Emphasizes social and community values that foster self-esteem and respect for each other.
- Meaningfully involves all stakeholders – parents, students, faculty, administration, and local community partners – in the continuous improvement and success of the school.
- Develops and advances best practices for engaging students and parents, training teachers, and promoting educational excellence, collaboration, and innovation.
Our Vision for Student Outcomes
Sherman Oaks Elementary Charter’s desired curriculum will include an integrated, inquiry-based K-5 curriculum closely aligned with California Standards and closely aligned to National Standards in the core areas of language arts, science, math, and social studies. Cross curricular, project-based learning will be enhanced using music, art, and dance instruction and there will be a strong emphasis on hands-on learning utilizing our new media and science labs.