As a LAUSD affiliated charter school, SOEC has significant autonomy over policies, programs, and procedures. The Governance Council, which manages these policies and procedures, is comprised of elected teachers, parents, and staff representatives. The council participates in decisions regarding curriculum, hiring, budget, enrollment, and day-to-day and long-term school administration concerns.
The Governance Council is comprised of 14 representatives, divided between staff and parents. Elections for the two year terms are held in the fall of each year to fill vacant Governance Council positions.
Governance Council meetings are held the fourth Thursday of the month, at 2:40 pm, in the Auditorium. Meetings are open to the public, and parents, guardians, and all members of the community are encouraged to attend.
If you want to place an item on the agenda and/or have a concern or idea you wish to make known to the Council, please contact council chair, Kanchan Mattoo at firstname.lastname@example.org. Monthly meeting times and dates are posted on the school calendar and are part of the weekly robo call and weekly announcements on Parent Square. Meeting notices and agendas are posted on the Governance bulletin board in the main office.
- Prepares the school budget every year, based on various funding received and on the needs of the school.
- It requires participation of school staff (Principal, School Administrative Assistant)
- Meets 3x-5x a school year (Beginning of school year and then again in the Spring to prepare the school budget)
- Fosters positive behavior in students by reviewing the effectiveness of current school behavior policies and recommending new research - based practices related to discipline, antibullying, citizenship, and character development
- Review monthly school attendance data to identify new strategies for improving the number of studnets attending school at least 96% of the time
- Continue implementing school-wide incentive program to reward students monthly for perfect attendance; communicate with parents of children not meeting 96% objective; promote attendance goals with all stakeholders
- Share attendance data monthly at Governance Council Meetings
- Meets monthly
- Reviews policies and recommends procedures to ensure efficient, timely communication with the Sherman Oaks Community;
- Meets 2-3x per school year
- Researches curriculum recommendations based on the educational program outlined in the Charter
- Committee's focus will include Homework Policy and Eureka Math
- Updates LCAP
- Updates Annual Charter Oversight
- Oversees safety and security for students and all other community members both on campus and on the school's perimeter
- Plans and organizes Fall and Spring Drill
- Meets 5-8 times per school year or as needed
- Implements and updates school safety plan
- Monitors safety supplies and classroom backpacks
- Disseminates safety information
- Surveys technology inventory, develops/refines the school technology plan (based on a school-wide technology curriculum)
- Coordinates with tech assistant to ensure that all technology needs are addressed
- Meets 2-3x per school year or as needed
- Focus: Educating and Empowering our school community in building cultural awareness and sensitivity by fostering a culture on anti-racism.
- Creates specific plans/processes to implement the education program as spelled out in the Charter.
- Involves the periodic resetting of mid-to-long term strategic direction and priorities; subcommittees focus on key issues and the specific initiatives needed to attain long terms strategic goals.